If you own a large home with hardwood floors or are tired of pushing around a vacuum, the best backpack vacuum for hardwood floors is a surprisingly good investment. While it may seem as though a backpack vacuum is good for commercial use only, it’s also great for household use.
Imagine having all the attachments you need hooked to your waist and the ability to move freely while vacuuming. This is the type of convenience that a shoulder vac offers, among others. One advantage you may not have known about owning a backpack vacuum is that they use a lot less energy than standard household vacuums. In fact, my current top pick uses up to 77% less energy than a traditional vacuum cleaner annually.
Below, I put together a list of advantages of owning a backpack vacuum cleaner to go over before we look at my top picks:
- Cover more area in less time
- Reduce strain on your back and other muscles when compared to pushing a vacuum
- Easily switch between tools and attachments
- Reach vents, crevices, shelves, drapes, and vaulted ceilings with ease
- More suction power
- Good backpack vacuum cleaners are less noisy than you might think
- Change vacuum bags less frequently
- Advanced filtration systems to trap more allergens, including mites, dust, and pet hair
In the next section, I share an overview of the top backpack vacuum cleaners currently on the market with the most important specs to consider for each.
Top 5 Hardwood Floor Backpack Vacuums
Best Backpack Vacuums for Hardwood Floors Reviewed
Now that you’ve had the chance to get an idea of your options, let’s take a closer look at each model in the detailed reviews below. Under each review, you’ll find the highlights of owning that particular model, plus the pros & cons to consider. Also, to help you avoid scratching your hardwood floors, I added the recommended attachments for hard floors where necessary.
#1) ProTeam Super CoachVac 10 qt. Backpack Vacuum
ProTeam’s Super CoachVac is one of the best available. It’s loved by owners for both commercial and home use for a long list of reasons. It checks just about all the boxes on the list of advantages I mentioned in the introduction. Primary highlights of the CoachVac are its ergonomic design to avoid back fatigue, comfortable strap system, and overall power. Additionally, it’s one of the quietest backpack vacuums on the market.
The base package includes a wide range of attachments with the option to connect the attachments to the built-in tool belt. You’ll have no trouble switching between attachments while cleaning or reaching high and low places. Then, there’s the convenience of the included 50ft power cord to skip over buying your own extension cord or worrying about distance restrictions.
The CoachVac’s 4-stage filtration system is another huge plus for people who want to clear their homes or clients’ homes of common allergens. It captures up to 99.67% of particles .3-micron size or larger to comply with ASTM Standard F3150 for HEPA Filtration System Performance of Residential and Commercial Vacuum Cleaners. The only drawback is that the included floor attachment is not the best for hardwood floors. However, ProTeam does sell an affordable attachment that’s perfect for hardwood floors pictured below:
ProTeam 100623 14″ Hard Surface Floor Tool with Nylon Brush
- The longest warranty period
- Built with high-quality components that stand the test of time
- Quieter than competing models
- Excellent suction and motor power
- Does a great job of clearing and capturing allergens
- Recommended for homeowners with hardwood floors to clean faster
- Requires the purchase of ProTeam’s hard surface floor tool to avoid scratching hardwood floors
- It can get warm on your back during extended use
- A bit heavier than other models
- The included Xover multi-surface floor tool is not good for hardwood floors
#2) Hoover C2401 Pro Shoulder Vac Commercial Backpack Vacuum
Another excellent choice for hardwood floors that’s right on par with ProTeam is Hoover’s Pro Shoulder Vac. Comparatively, this vacuum weighs a couple of pounds less, yet it is larger in size. This is important to keep in mind if you’re concerned about the canister bumping into your walls while using your vacuum.
Another advantage of Hoover’s Pro Shoulder Vac is that it does include a brush tool that’s perfect for hardwood floors. However, it’s not quite as nice as the ProTeam floor tool pictured above. Next, Hoover built this vacuum for comfort using a chiropractor-designed harness and a relatively quiet motor that matches what ProTeam offers.
Several final highlights are the HEPA Hypercone Filter for cleaner air, positive lock hose design for keeping the hose securely in place during use, and the extra-long cord with a nifty loop that keeps the wire at waist height to avoid sagging while you work. All in all, Hoover’s Pro Shoulder Vac is the best backpack vacuum for the money.
- Includes a floor brush tool for hardwood floors unlike ProTeam’s Super CoachVac
- More affordable than comparable ProTeam models at the time of this writing
- Lighter than the Super CoachVac
- One of the quietest backpack vacuums on the market
- HEPA filtration for cleaner air
- Durable and flexible hose
- The included extension cord gives you enough length to do the whole house
- It makes vacuuming hardwood stairs quick and painless
- Shorter warranty than competing models
- No carpet tool included
- Larger than ProTeam models, more care is required when walking through narrow doorways
- Emptying the canister could be more efficient
#3) Atrix VACBP1 Ergo Backpack HEPA Vacuum
Number three on my list is an affordable backpack vacuum by Atrix. At the time of this writing, it costs less than Hoover’s Pro Shoulder Vac and considerably less than the ProTeam models in this guide. While this does sound great, it’s important to know that this model is better for household use and lighter-duty commercial uses than Hoover or ProTeam models.
The first highlight of this vacuum is that everything you need to clean hardwood floors comes standard. The included floor tool won’t scratch hardwood floors and gives you a wider coverage area than most competing models. Next, let’s discuss comfort. Does the Ergo live up to its name? The canister design is built to emulate a backpack for a more natural feel & even weight distribution. As for the shoulder straps, you will most likely find that ProTeam and Hoover straps are more comfortable.
Final considerations include the need to purchase an extension cord since the included cord measures 2′ and the shorter warranty period. These are a couple of the tradeoffs for the lower introductory price.
- Includes a floor attachment that’s safe for hardwood floors
- The most affordable model in this guide
- Perfect for stairs, hardwood floors, and crevices that standard vacuums have trouble reaching
- Fairly lightweight with good weight distribution
- Quick and easy access to the bag/filter area
- Ample suction power
- Features a blower function
- The shortest warranty period of the models in this guide
- A bit louder than competing models
- No extension cord included
- May cause your lower back to sweat
#4) ProTeam ProVac FS 6 Backpack Vacuum
The second ProTeam model to make this list is the best commercial backpack vacuum for hardwood floors. The key differences between the FS 6 and CoachVac models are the shape/size of the canister and the option to use the FS 6 with electric power nozzles. For this reason, the FS 6 is compatible with a wider variety of attachments than the CoachVac.
Outside of those differences, you get the same powerful filtration and performance offered by all the top ProTeam backpack vacuum models. The feature I like is the shape of the FS 6 canister because it’s less likely to bang into objects since it sits flatter on your back. However, the smaller canister equals less time between emptying.
Lastly, the FS 6 comes backed by the same long warranty period offered by the CoachVac model, and the 8pc Commercial Power Nozzle Tool Kit option includes everything you need to clean every type of floor out of the box. Overall, the FS 6 model is the perfect choice for commercial use to cover large areas in as little time as possible.
- Compatible with electric power nozzles
- Excellent for cutting down on cleaning time in commercial applications
- You may prefer the low-profile canister design over the cylindrical CoachVac design
- Operation below 70 dB
- Multiple attachment package options
- The floor attachment easily slips below furniture to capture annoying dust
- Convenient cord holder on the waist belt to avoid tripping and interference
- Easily reach corners in ceilings to clear cobwebs using the wand
- Not great at picking up pet hair on the carpet with the included tools
- Requires more storage space than an upright
- The need to maintain and replace paper filters
#5) Prolux 2.0 Bagless Backpack Vacuum with Power Nozzle
If you prefer to skip the bags, Prolux 2.0 is worthy of your consideration. The first two great features are the lightweight design and bagless HEPA filtration system. Emptying the canister is easier than competing models by simply removing it and pressing a button to release dirt & dust from the bottom. This is similar to what you’ll find offered by upright Dyson vacuums.
The next advantage is for pet parents. Since you don’t have to worry about changing bags or costly replacement bags, this model is my top pick for pet parents with hardwood floors. In addition to no replacement bags, the filtration system is self-cleaning with a washable HEPA filter.
Finally, the Prolux 2.0 model comes with a 35′ cord, it’s more affordable than ProTeam models at the time of this writing, it comes backed by a longer warranty than most competitors, and the company is USA owned & operated. All things considered, this model is the top bagless backpack vacuum for hardwood floors currently available.
- No need to worry about pricey replacement bag costs
- A good choice for pet parents who have a lot of fur and hair to pick up on hardwood floors
- Lighter than most competing models
- HEPA air filtration with a washable filter and self-cleaning function
- Comfortable straps with ample padding
- Includes all the accessories you need out of the box
- The easiest to empty of the models in this guide
- The material on the straps may get uncomfortable if in direct contact with skin
- Petite people may feel the waist strap is too large
- The noisiest model in this guide at 75 dB
Whether you’re a business owner on the hunt for a commercial backpack vacuum or a homeowner with large areas of hardwood flooring, these are the best backpack vacuums for hardwood floors currently on the market. Overall, ProTeam is the top choice for commercial applications, while the other models in this guide are all great for both commercial & residential uses depending on your needs.
Lastly, I’m a big fan of the Prolux 2.0 for pet parents to cut down on replacement bag costs, and the ease of emptying the canister is a big plus. If you’re a pet parent like me, then you know how quickly dog hair piles up with multiple dogs roaming around your home. Plus, you get the added advantage of HEPA filtration with most backpack vacuums to eliminate pet dander, dust, and other common household allergens.