When selecting the best commercial vacuum for pet hair, it’s important to consider the pros & cons that come along with purchasing a commercial vacuum rather than a residential model. In this guide, I share the top commercial vacuums for effortlessly picking up pet hair on all surfaces, tips on how to choose the right one for your home or business, and detailed reviews of each model.
Several of the key factors to consider when choosing a commercial vacuum are:
- Commercial models feature more powerful motors than standard household vacuums
- One drawback is commercial models are typically louder
- Commercial models come with long power cords to cover large areas
- You get larger bags with commercial vacuums to cut down on emptying between fills, this is especially nice for homes with a lot of pets
- Wider working widths on commercial upright vacuums to cover more area in less time
- Residential models typically feature weaker components that are more prone to breaking
- Some commercial brands such as Windsor offer extensive warranties
Generally, commercial vacuums outperform residential vacuums. You’re more likely to pick up pet hair in one pass with the vacuums in this guide rather than having to pass over the same spot multiple times. Additionally, the filtration systems in the following vacuums effectively eliminate pet dander leading to cleaner air inside your home or business.
Now, let’s get started with an overview of the current top selections before moving along to the reviews of each model.
Top 5 Commercial Vacuums for Pet Hair
|#1) Windsor Sensor S12 Upright Commercial Vacuum
|#2) Oreck U2000RB-1 Commercial Vacuum
|#3) Bissell BigGreen BGCOMP9H Commercial Canister Vacuum
Tradition Upright Commercial Vacuum
|#5) Oreck Commercial XL Pro 5 Canister Vacuum
Best Commercial Vacuums for Pet Hair Reviewed
The best commercial vacuum brands are Oreck, Sanitaire, Bissell, ProTeam, and Windsor. Oreck tends to offer the most affordable commercial vacuums that get the job done along with Sanitaire. Move one rung up the ladder, and you’ll find Bissell and ProTeam equipment. Then, at the top of the ladder you’ll find Windsor, and the old saying “you get what you pay for” certainly applies to Windsor commercial vacuums.
Below, I share reviews of each vacuum. You’ll find helpful tips, features, and the pros & cons of owning each model to help you make the most informed buying decision.
#1) Windsor Sensor S12 Upright Commercial Vacuum (SRS12)
The Sensor S12 is all the vacuum you’ll ever need to pick up pet hair on any surface with as little effort as possible. The key component that makes the S12 ideal for pet hair is the dual motor. With the dual-motor, you experience less burn than a single motor vacuum. Plus, you’re highly unlikely to experience any cat fur or dog hair blowing up into the air on hardwood floors when using this vacuum.
Next, use the height adjustment knob when switching between carpet and hard floors for optimal performance. The powerful yet quiet motor provides excellent suction strength on all carpets from low-pile to high-pile. When going below and around furniture, the S12 allows you to lie the vacuum flat without worrying about it tipping back.
Several final highlights are the comprehensive filtration system that traps up to 99.6% of particles .3-microns and larger, the array of onboard tools & extension wand, CRI Indoor Air Quality Testing Program approval, and the longest warranty you’ll find offered by the models in this guide.
- The ability to lie the vacuum completely flat to get below furniture
- Quieter than most Sanitaire and Oreck models
- The dual-motor is perfect for picking up pet hair on all surfaces
- Includes accessories & an extension wand for tackling any job and getting to high places
- Impressive suction power
- Recommended by housekeeping professionals
- Built with durable materials to withstand the test of time
- Long warranty with readily available replacement parts
- Heavier than Oreck commercial vacuums
- No light
- If you’re sensitive to noise, you might prefer the Bissell model
- Manual height adjustment (consider the Sensor XP12 #ad at Amazon if you desire automatic height control)
#2) Oreck U2000RB-1 Commercial Vacuum
Now for the best bang-for-your-buck model in this guide. Compared to buying an expensive Windsor commercial vacuum, investing in the Oreck U2000RB-1 is a lot easier on the wallet. For this reason, it’s a great choice for renters, new homeowners, and business owners who want a vacuum that consistently gets the job done without breaking the bank.
The greatest advantage of the U2000RB-1 is that it’s lightweight – the lightest upright model in this guide. Compared to the other upright models featured here, the U2000RB is the easiest to push, making it ideal for seniors and anyone who prefers the airy feel of using it. In addition to it being lightweight, this model also packs some serious power. You’ll have no trouble using it on both hardwood floors and carpets.
Final considerations include the ease of sliding this vacuum beneath beds & other furniture, its ability to easily clean up after both short-hair & long-hair pets, long-lasting bags, and its lightweight design makes it a good choice for multi-level homes & establishments where it may need to be carried upstairs.
- The lightest model in this guide
- Slides beneath furniture with ease
- Quickly suck up pet hair on hard floors and carpet
- The long cord is great for covering large areas
- Maneuvers more easily than most vacuums
- Ample suction power for pet hair
- Bags take a long time to fill
- Oreck vacuums tend to be louder than competing models
- Most likely won’t match the lifespan of a Windsor
- No hose or attachments included
- No self-adjustment when going over thick carpet
#3) Bissell BigGreen BGCOMP9H Commercial Canister Vacuum
If you prefer a canister model over an upright, Bissell’s BigGreen is currently my top pick in that department. Make no mistake, this is a powerful vacuum with a 1.6 HP motor and 50′ power cord to clean large rooms in no time at all. Compared to pushing an Oreck or other upright model, the BigGreen rolls easily from spot to spot.
The included combo floor tool covers a wider path than a residential vacuum. Plus, it’s built for cleaning bare floors, low-pile carpet, and upholstery. One of the drawbacks of the Oreck is that it includes no attachments. With the BigGreen, you get everything you need to clean pet hair off your floors and furniture without having to buy additional accessories.
Next, you’ll find that the BigGreen is one of the quietest commercial vacuums on the market at just 60 dB. Compared to most models, this is a large drop in volume for a more comfortable experience. Finally, the long telescoping wand is nice to have for reaching the corners of ceilings, drapes, and other hard-to-reach high spots upright vacuums can’t reach.
- More versatile than an upright model
- The combo floor tool features a height adjuster for different floor types
- Great for cleaning pet hair off furniture as well the floor
- Durable metal telescoping wand for reaching high spots
- The canister rolls easily over floors compared to pushing an upright vacuum on a high-pile carpet
- Choose between low and high suction power
- Extra-long cord length ensures you don’t have to unplug the vacuum in the middle of the job
- The quietest model in this guide
- Homeowners with thick carpet might prefer upright models
- It may feel somewhat clunky to roll around
- Pricier than Oreck models
#4) Sanitaire Tradition SC679K Upright Commercial Vacuum
Another good budget commercial upright vacuum for pet hair is Sanitaire’s Tradition. Model SC679K is the latest model that replaced the now-discontinued model SC679J. Be sure to consider this since some outlets are still selling model SC679J. As far as features, the first highlight of this vacuum is the extra-large 18-quart shake-out bag. You’ll be able to suck up a lot more pet hair between emptying compared to the capacity offered by residential vacuums.
Next, let’s talk about convenience. Two features you’ll like are the 30′ power cord that allows for cleaning up to 4,680 sq ft and the tool-free maintenance design. Changing the belt and brush requires no tools.
Lastly, the Tradition is lighter than Windsor vacuums yet a couple of pounds heavier than comparable Oreck models. Additionally, it’s noisier than Windsor models and about the same or a bit quieter than Oreck models. Comparatively, you’ll find that this vacuum maneuvers similarly to an Oreck XL. Overall, the Tradition is very easy to maintain and delivers true commercial-quality power for lifting pet hair off all types of carpets.
- No-tools maintenance
- Extra-large bag capacity for heavy pet hair situations
- Lighter than Windsor models
- The ideal choice for picking up pet hair off carpets
- Noticeably powerful suction for single-pass cleaning
- Easily find replacement parts
- Built with durable materials, no cheap plastic parts
- Intended for use on carpet only
- No attachments or accessories
- Must take care when emptying bags to avoid releasing dust into the air
#5) Oreck Commercial XL Pro 5 Canister Vacuum (BB900-DGR)
My final pick is a great alternative choice for people who want a super lightweight commercial vacuum that’s easy to carry around. The clear advantage here is for use on stairs and in multi-level homes. With the XL Pro 5, you get commercial strength in a very compact package that makes the headache of cleaning pet hair off of stairs an easy chore.
In addition to being lightweight, this vacuum comes with all the attachments you need to clean floors, upholstery, ceiling fans & vents, and other hard-to-reach places throughout your home or your customers’ homes. When combined with Sanitaire or Oreck upright models without attachments, the XL Pro 5 is the perfect addition to complete the job without sacrificing power.
The only real drawback to this model is its 81 dB operational volume. Considering you hold it at waist level, it’s certainly not the best choice for people who are sensitive to noise. However, outside of that drawback, this is a great small commercial vacuum that makes a great addition to any arsenal of cleaning tools.
- The best vacuum in this guide for cleaning pet hair off of stairs
- Includes an extension wand and all the attachments you need for reaching high places
- Ready to clean floors, furniture, pet beds, and small carpets
- The lightest option in this guide
- A long power cord for covering large areas or high stairs
- The most affordable vacuum in this guide at the time of this writing
- Picks up pet hair in tight corners and crevices that upright vacuums can’t reach
- The rear exhaust can blow light objects while you vacuum
- Problems with the shoulder strap failing
- Not the best choice for high-pile carpets
Compared to overpriced residential vacuums with fancy parts that are a pain to replace, old-school-style commercial vacuums get the job done and are easier to maintain. Since commercial vacuums are made to cover large areas and take a beating, manufacturers are more likely to provide replacement parts and to use a simpler, more efficient design.
Before choosing the best commercial vacuum for pet hair for your desired application, be sure to consider the pros & cons of each model featured in this guide. Once you compare your needs to what each vacuum has/doesn’t have to offer, your final decision becomes an easy one. Finally, you may also want to consider choosing the best backpack vacuum for hardwood floors to pick up pet hair if you don’t have much carpet in your home.